Posted by: shannynmoore | September 11, 2010


I got a phone call on the morning of 9/11/2001. I saw the second plane hit on television. I had no idea, though I felt huge grief, how big the scale of impact was. Pop Moore was moose hunting and didn’t find out for several weeks what happened. I’m sure he was one of the last to know.

When AKM and I were in NYC last year we went to Ground Zero…I got it…and I wept again…for that day and for all the deaths that followed. Where were you?



  1. There was a mosque inside WTC2.

    sarahpalinUSA should get that tweet often today.

  2. When moose hunting to you just camp out in the wilderness for awhile to track them or something? Forgive my ignorance, curious Iowan here.

    As for me, I was in junior high at my small school. We got literally no work done that day.

    One clear memory I have was that afternoon, one of the older, long-time teachers started out our class with, “Okay let’s all talk about this.” And we had a serious, informative, no-nonsense talk about the whole thing. It lasted the entire class and we all got to ask questions, which she did her best to answer. It calmed us all down and reduced the confusion. She’s retired now, but she was an awesome teacher.

  3. I was driving for a meeting in Birmingham AL, quite a ways from my home state of Michigan. I heard it on the radio, the evacuation of the White House.

    We were staying at a family member’s house for the visit, I had a three year old daughter along for the vacation.

    I canceled the meeting, turned my truck around, went to an ATM and withdrew the max amount it would allow for (anticipating a cyber type disruption, and went back to pretty much stay glued to the TV for the next 2 days.

    I kept asking myself- Where is the president? Why hasn’t he said anything?

    That Friday I drove back to Michigan, and as I got to the top end of I65 where the turnoff to Chicago or Detroit is… it was unbelievably quiet in the skies, to see no planes.

    It was a sad day 9/11.

  4. I was getting ready for a morning flight Outside when my son , who was working in Boston at the time, called .
    He asked me if I was ok. As I’m not the world’s greatest flyer I thought he was calling for a pep talk.
    He told me to turn on the radio (I don’t have TV) and then he broke down in tears.
    That great huge strong bear of man cried his heart out. He told me he couldn’t reach his college buddy in New york who worked very near the Towers… that everyone he knew in Boston knew someone on one of those planes…
    Later in the day a request for a waiver to fly a Search and Rescue chopper was denied for many, many hours here.
    An elderly tourist had wandered away from his group on a mountain tour. He was never found.
    When I did get out on a plane a few days later, our small airport was full of hunters and fishermen who had just been picked up- folks who had been left wherever they were , with no idea why their pick-up planes had not arrived for days, who were trying to cope with the news .
    I’ll never forget one large bearded man with hunting camo on, tears streaming down his face, as security went through his carry-on …he had wrapped apples in his clean skivvies, something which likely would have embarressed him at any other time to have others see… he was oblivious . The security personnel finally gave him a chair to sit on , to collect himself and his grief.

  5. I was in my classroom in the middle of teaching a civics lesson when the principal announced on the PA system that the towers had been hit. I was totally immobilized by shock. My heart sank, and I got this weak feeling in my stomach. My students kept asking me what was wrong with me, but I couldn’t answer them. I had to sit down for a few minutes to recover. A little later I turned on the teevee in my classroom to confirm what I had heard, and the students and I sat there in silence, looking at the devastation as it unfolded, finding it hard to believe that a successful terrorist attack had happened on American soil. The entire school was in shock, every thing was muted, and we didn’t get much done at all that day.

  6. I was on my way to teach at an elementary school. I live in a small military town which has many parents on travel to the East Coast. While I had no one I knew at risk, many of the students had a parent at the pentagon or in New York. The students heard that there was a plane hijacked and on the way to us on the West Coast. We suddenly seemed like a very small target. It was difficult to console the children that day.

  7. I worked for the Army at the time. I went into a meeting about 5 minutes after the first plane hit. An hour later I came out of the meeting to find out about the 2nd plane and the collapse. I was stuned. We had some TV’s going and I got CNN on my computer.
    My installation in the midwest evacuated except for a few people. We didn’t let many people back on for a week. We had a viable threat that I still can’t comment on. It was erie being on an isolated, in the middle of the Mississippi, island used to 2500 people and now, only a few cars in the parking lot. I worked 14-15 hour days and could not watch news when I got home. I turned on comedy central and had a few beers until I could sleep. Then be up at 4 AM and go back to it. I never saw all of the TV coverage, I just had CNN running in the backghround on my computer and would bring it up if I heard the day ” this just in “.
    As a chem/nuc first responder, once the adrenilan gets going, it won’t stop, I’m getting fired up just writing this so I’ll stop.
    Peace out.

  8. I was close enough to the Pentagon to have my house shake like heck when the Pentagon was hit.

    • I can appreciate that feeling of the ground shacking. NOVA became a disaster area because of the Pentagon. I shall never foget

  9. I was among the rest of Americans and was willfully blind, watching the tv in shock and taking in all that they were telling us. I too, felt the anger and the desire for revenge. They named the “enemy” that very day to get us to focus our anger.

    Since I have learned much about how we were and are being MANipulated.

    The American Dream is?

    A·mer·i·can (-mr-kn) adj.
    1. Of or relating to the United States of America or its people, language, or culture.
    2. Of or relating to North or South America, the West Indies, or the Western Hemisphere.
    3. Of or relating to any of the Native American peoples.
    4. Indigenous to North or South America. Used of plants and animals.

    dream (drm) n.
    1. A series of images, ideas, emotions, and sensations occurring involuntarily in the mind during certain stages of sleep.
    2. A daydream; a reverie.
    3. A state of abstraction; a trance.
    4. A wild fancy or hope.
    5. A condition or achievement that is longed for; an aspiration: a dream of owning their own business.
    6. One that is exceptionally gratifying, excellent, or beautiful: Our new car runs like a dream.

  10. I was walking up to the Council office in the Village that a.m. when a neighbor called out to me from his porch telling me that a plane had been flown into the Tower.

    I have family in NY City so was extremely concerned. Luckily, they were out of the city or not in the area, except for my sister who started to go to the area in order to help, but was turned back by police.

    My husband was out hunting too that week so I was unable to talk to him.

    What I remember best about that day is how many people were trying to help each other and the messages of love that were sent.

    It’s not until years later now that this country succumbed to the fear and hate that the terrorists originally wanted to instill in this country on that day.

    I didn’t see it then, but I do today. What happened to us?

  11. I was at home in Vancouver, WA. My mom called from the Minneapolis/St Paul airport where she was at the gate watching CNN and told me to turn on my TV. The week before she had been at a business lunch at Windows on the World at the top of the WTC.

    Her flight was canceled and she went back to her office- then had a panic attack and ended up in the hospital.

    My oldest son was at college on the other side of the state and all I could think was that I had to get him home…but living so close to Portland and Seattle I also thought we could be in danger if there were more planes coming. I kept my younger son home from school that day…

    My oldest did not yet have his own cell phone and I was in no hurry to get him one- until that day. It was the first thing I did in the days that followed and Fed-Ex’d it to him overnight. I’m sure I wasn’t the only parent who did this after 9/11.

    Stunned, shocked, frightened, grief-stricken, horrified, and sad beyond belief describes what I felt on 9/11.

    Nine years later I can still feel all of these things quite clearly when I remember that day….

  12. I was working at the Anchorage International Airport.

    I hopped into the elevator that took us up to our offices & told the man already in there, “Good Morning”.

    He said, “No, it isn’t. Somebody just flew some planes into the World Trade Center.”

    Wow, that caught me off guard. I hadn’t watched the news or listened to the radio at all before going into work. Keep in mind that we are 4 hours behind NYC. IT was early.

    We closed down the offices & all left to go home because no flights were going out. My co-worker was almost 9 months pregnant, so I wanted to make sure she was okay. She gave birth about 4 days later.

    Working at the airport was never the same again.

  13. PS: Did anyone notice that that is a book that Bush is holding upside down is by Lynne Cheney?

    “America: A Patriotic Primer”

    A bit ironic wouldn’t you say?????

  14. I was up early to get a biopsy of my lung done in Anchorage. When we left one of the towers was hit. When I recovered from the biopsy anesthesia, both towers were down and I had lung cancer for sure.

  15. I was getting ready for work and I did not watch TV. I only had the Internet…I was going out to work when my neighbor came running out and told me about the first plane and we watched the second plane hit. It was horrible I can only imagine what wars are like.

    My thoughts go out to those who were left behind still morning. I hope and pray that their hearts will lease the hate if they harbor any.

    My uncle was Ernie Pyle and my Mother never forgave the Japanese. There is a staue where he was killed , but that was not enough for her.

    There was nothing from Japan in our house. She never forgave them.

    ~Tthe Baby Boomer Queen~

    • Somtimes when these travesties of human against other human happen, well I figure it is so that we may learn such things as FORGIVENESS. Think of what Jesus taught …

  16. I was at work, IMing with my best friend who worked across the street from the WTC and whose husband worked in the South Tower. I got a message “Something happened-gotta go”. A few minutes later, I opened Yahoo and saw that a plane had hit one of the buildings. I couldn’t really get any other information. Then a guy in my office came down and said a second plane had hit, and I knew something was very wrong. I couldn’t get any websites to come up, so I went out to my car and turned on the radio just in time to hear on a live broadcast that the South Tower was collapsing. I was hysterical for much of that day until late in the afternoon when I got the call saying my friend and her husband were both safe – when the first plane hit, they both left, they were in a cab when the second plane hit and saw the Towers fall from New Jersey. We were so blessed…

  17. I had just turned on my TV…my initial reaction was ” what a horrible movie.” Then I realized it was for real…I was frightened, worried about the people in those buildings and surrounding areas.

    As a Canadian, I was sick to my heart for all the people caught in that act of hatred. I wept and then phoned my daughter in British Columbia to alert her to the devastation.

    As the day wore on…I wondered and was puzzled as to why President Bush had not made a Statement…for that greatest of sadness to hit USA soil.

    I stayed glued to my TV set for two days…and gave thanks for all the FireFighters, Police and Volunteers who worked so very hard trying to save lives.

    And I wept again and again not only for the people in those two buildings…but also for the many Heroes who died trying to assist their fellow persons.


  18. It was my day off and I sat at my computer in Omaha, on IM for a visit with my oldest son, working in lower Manhattan. He told me there had been an explosion at the WTC, and told me to turn on CNN. My first question was about his brother, my youngest son, who also worked in Manhattan. We later found out that Michael had be on a Path train under the first building when the plane dove into it. He didn’t know what had happened until he came up from the station at Union Square. He took off to locate my oldest son at work and they went to try to find //Damon’s roommate who worked on the 72nd floor of the first tower. They told everybody to stay put but he was too scared so he took off running down the stairs. Only minutes after he got out, he ran into my sons and they got away from the area. It took them hours to walk out of Manhattan across the Brooklyn Bridge to get home. I will be forever grateful that I was able to connect with them so quickly and know they were safe.

    Today on Facebook, this is what my oldest son wrote. I am so proud to be his mother.

    “I think it’s sad when people use this date to perpetuate hate and intolerance. Let’s remember the loss and forgive the act.”

    • And very proud you should be. If only others would say and agree with the same

      • Wanted to say I was at work and My husband called and told me to turn on my radio and about what had happened.Our Boss the owner of the place i worked at Put a TV up in the lunch room so on breaks and lunch hours we could hear and see what was going on.I did not know for weeks that some pictures that were taken by TV stations were not shown because someone said they were to graphic.Not any more graphic than when people were jumping out of windows when they lost everything during the depression era.I saw a lot of those pictures.

  19. I had just spent the summer working for a local professional opera company and I was sleeping in. After a long grueling summer working backstage for probably 150 rehearsals and performances and averaging about 16 hours of hard physical labor per day, I thought that I deserved a bit of a sleep in. Besides, what did I have to get up for? In May I had been laid off from my teaching gig at a local college, so I didn’t really have anything to do. A little after 7:00 a.m. Mountain Time, my wife woke me with the news that a plane had crashed into one of the towers of the World Trade Center.

    I got up and turned on NPR. Nobody knew if it was a small private plane or a military jet. People speculated that a pilot of a private plane must have suffered a heart attack. I switched on the TV to Good Morning America to see if they had any additional information. Nothing much but more questions and speculation. Then….

    Goddamn! That plane just flew into the second tower! I felt like someone had just punched me hard in the solar plexus and knocked the wind right out of me. I stared in slacked-jaw disbelief as I watched a commercial airliner simply melt into the tower, followed by the giant fireball emerging on the opposite side of the building.

    At that instant I knew that it was an act of terrorism. One plane flying into the WTC might have been a horrible accident, but two? No way. Not a commercial airliner. How many people were onboard? I had just witnessed the deaths of how many individuals? Then more horrible news followed with another plane crashing into the Pentagon and another in a field in Pennsylvania. We are now at war.

    I did have to go into the opera company to do a bit of end of season work and close up my department for the year. When I arrived, everybody was just kind of frozen listening to the radio. Nobody in the company had a working TV, so when I showed up – the head of the Audio Visual Department – I got several requests to hook up a TV.

    We had a probably a couple of dozen video monitors that we used backstage, but none of them had tuners. We did, however, have couple of TVs, but they weren’t hooked up to receive any signal. I improvised an antennae and got a very grainy signal and virtually everyone in the company gathered around the TV for about an hour or so. It then became very clear that nobody was going to get any work done, so we all went home to try and process what the hell had just happened.

    By now we know that those four airliners had been hijacked. For a few tense hours we all waited to hear if there were any additional hijackings and any more murderous Kamikaze attacks on any other buildings.

    I felt absolutely helpless and useless. Here I was in Santa Fe, New Mexico and I wanted to be there in New York helping to dig out survivors. Could there BE any survivors? What good was it to be a classically trained composer 2,000 miles away when there were people buried under mountains of rubble. So I did the only thing that I could do. I sat down at the piano and began to play.

    For the next four or five hours, my sadness, my grief, my utter helplessness and despair poured out of me into the piano. By about six or seven hours after the events, I had a finished piece that was as close to a wordless musical prayer as this composer could possibly provide. Musically, it summed up the utter sadness and disappointment that I felt – not because I was American, but because I was a human being. How could anybody commit such heinous and ruthless acts against other people?

    The piece, Melancholy Prelude, ended up being part of a commission for First Presbyterian Church and their observance of All Saint’s Day. It turns out that First Presbyterian, which is also my church, has a family in the congregation that lost five members in the planes which crashed into the World Trade Center. There were three on one plane and two on the other. They were flying out to a family reunion in California. Those horrible events hit far too close to home.

    The piece has been played dozens of times since 2001 in various forms – for solo organ, brass quintet, and string orchestra – and it always elicits the intended response form the audiences. However, for the first eight years after that awful day, I could not hear the piece without my mind being flooded by the intensely overpowering images and emotions that I felt so many years prior. Luckily, I have never had to conduct the piece myself. I’m not sure that I could not have gotten through the whole piece without losing it.

    Since 2001, part of my personal 9/11 ritual involves listening to my piece by myself, alone with my thoughts and emotions. It always was simply the purest most simple musical expression of absolute grief that I could muster. Today was the first time in nine years that I could get to the end of the work without sobbing like a grieving child. The piece still stirs those same memories, but the wounds are not as fresh, they seem to have since scabbed over. Maybe it is time to let the grief subside at least a bit.

    My piece has been performed dozens of times here in the Southwest. My goal is to have the people of New York, Washington/Arlington, and Shanksville hear the work by, or better yet, on the 10th anniversary observations next year. It is the most sincere gift that this composer could offer up to all of those other grieving souls. It was, and is, the least that I could do.

  20. I was at an office, not aware of the towers until the woman I worked for, came in and told me. She closed the office and we went home.
    My oldest had just flown to Hawaii the 2 weeks before and was on the same flight as the plane that crashed into the Pentagon. He was OK in Hawaii.
    My daughter had just started at McGill in Montreal.
    The border was closed, I could not get to her, nor could she get home.
    My husband worked for the VA. He stayed at work, even though the federal system shut down.
    The rest of my family lives on LI. They were close enough to experience the confusion and terror.
    One cousin lived 2 miles from the Pentagon, that plane flew directly over his house. His sister and niece worked in the city near the towers, they walked home, covered in debris and arrived 7 hours later.
    I did not know personally anybody that died, but my friends and relatives on LI did.

  21. I was just leaving college (I’m from the UK) when I heard of the attacks, and I remember my bus driver – usually a jovial character – breaking down when he announced the awful news to us.

    I am a first time commenter on this blog but I would like to say how I have often read it in the past and I thank you for your posts.

    I have linked you in a post I myself have just written;

    Thanks again for all the posts.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: